Saturday, April 2, 2011

National Poetry Month is Underway!

Celebrate it every way you know how! I will be celebrating it by planning the reading for the summer course I am putting together: "Modernist and Avant-Garde Poetries and their Contexts" .... a bit of a mouthful, but it was the only way to get everything in.

I've also been busy making treasuries to feature some of the wonderful broadsheets and books of poetry available from vintage and handmade sellers on Etsy! I love letterpress, and I am so glad there are other people who have access to presses and can make beautiful editions of poems that I can buy. There is a letterpress machine at UCSB, but I think I'd have to sign up to take a Book Arts course, which would be awesome, but it is such a time commitment! In my last semester of college I took a course in letterpress (to fulfil my arts requirement... when it comes down to it, I really double majored in English in college, I took so many book-based courses). It took me the whole semester to create a broadsheet of the last lines of Joyce's Ulysses and tiny book of quotes about my hometown. I already am spending too little time on my diss as it is.









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous treasuries!!! Thanks for alerting me about National Poetry Month... I may have to celebrate that somehow!!! :D

Hugs,
Taylor Lynn <3

roseworksjewelry said...

Ooo - I didn't realize it was National Poetry Month! Guess I have to go write some poems...

I had no idea there were so many poetry and word type items on Etsy!

Melinda said...

Lovely treasuries! :)

annekata said...

Here's a link to Sarah Kay's TED talk who I just learned about. She is absolutely amazing and her spoken word poetry performances incredible. Thanks to alerting me to National Poetry Month. Love your treasuries!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...